Sunday, June 26, 2011

Garífuna Credibility

My attention was caught by the headline of a newspaper that came out a few days after the visit of the President of the Republic of Guatemala to Labuga on May 11, 2011.  The English version would be, “Garífunas ask Colom for programs for development."

Before I continue, my intention is not to question anyone’s credibility.  For the most part this is more about an inward journey. I have been doing this for the past thirteen years and just a few days ago, I was looking at the stats of my blog which I started over a year ago, GarifunaReality.blogspot.com, and found out that people in fifty three countries have somehow visited the blog. Therefore I would not be surprised if the president of Guatemala has heard about it, because here I am today, taking about Garífuna Credibility.

Garífuna Credibility is about a concept that I trying to put into context.  The objective here is to share a contextual field where each and every Garífuna has the basic human right to be a part of this process. Garífuna Credibility is a collective concept where yours and mine come together.

My point is I would like for you to know that dialogs about programs for development for the Garífuna people continues with the cabinet of the current President of the republic. They hope to be here at the end of this month.

On a personal level, I would like to think that a lot is at stake -- for the most part, our credibility. However we have allowed the governments to get away with a lot of their commitments, because we have also failed to have their commitment written down for follow-ups. I have been living in Labuga for the past two elections and all we have had are empty promises. 

The current president has a little over two months left to be in power, he still has the power to commit the succeeding government to continue their commitments to the Garífuna people however it is also our duty as Garínagu to be worthy.

Au-le
Lubara Huya  

No comments: