Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spiritual Politics

The seed

While the national election in Guatemala is around the corner, September 11th 2011, will be Election Day in Labuga. What draws my attention to this point is not the “date,” instead it  is a question that I have asked myself over and over again, it goes like this:
Do I think that Garífuna spirituality and politics can be a part of life?
You see, I am thinking about voting for the second time in my life; the first time was almost eight years ago.  I am considering my vote because I think that it would be fair to have a Garífuna in the Mayor’s office. It has been over two decades since a Garífuna has sat in that chair. I am talking about a “Chair” that has power, the kind of power that has brought us to the point that they are taking away our land! This is because anyone who sits in that “Chair” can do that, and recent events have proven this beyond a reasonable doubt.

Before I continue, I would like to thank you for being there.  This is what I mean by Spiritual Politics: to begin with, it is something that is in the mind, it is like a seed, if you cultivate it, something begins to happen.  It is vital to remember that in the process of cultivation, one has to be aware that it should be accomplished with an awareness of others, transparent with others and responsible with others.  

I will not put my hands in the fire for a Garífuna just to say that we have a Garífuna sitting in the Mayor’s chair. I will, however, risk my life for a Garífuna that would like to cultivate the concept of Spiritual Politics.

To be continued
Lubara Huya     

No comments: