Saturday, October 27, 2012

Open Mind


 Part II

I had the opportunity of a lifetime to be in Trujillo, Honduras on the 23rd - 25th of October, 2012 for a workshop. In this case, what I hope to do here is to share this experience with you, but before I continue I would like for you to know that this is a continuation of “Open Mind” which I wrote twenty two days ago.

I have read some very interesting feedback from the readers.  I would like for you to know that it is an honor for me; it has allowed me to check myself. I became aware of so many interesting experiences from the different points of view of Garífunas like you and I.  In this case, I am talking about a journey, “Struggle or Movement” that has brought us this far.

On a personal note, I would like to share with you the issue I am struggling with, “An Issue” that holds my conscience hostage, be that as it may, I am afraid that I am not the only one.

I have come to the point of asking myself this question “Would I sacrifice my child for the future of the Garífuna Language?”

I am asking this because I had the opportunity to meet with three of five children in a Garífuna village in Honduras, who are exchange students from Nicaragua. We were in Trujillo from the 23rd October through the 25th 2012 for a workshop related with territorial rights for land in Central America for the Garífuna Nation. I decided to go because I am a firm believer of this philosophy; a “Nation” should defend their land and their language.

 To make this real in my life, first I should try at least to walk in the shoes of the parents of these five Garífuna children who are making history right before our eyes. The biblical story of Abraham and his son became real in the life of the brother and sisters from Nicaragua.

The children of these brave and courageous Garífuna parents who are being “sacrificed” for the sake of the Garífuna Language is worthy of my respect and profound gratification. Garifuna Brothers and Sisters from Belize, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua should be acknowledged with the same honor and respect.

During the workshop in Trujillo, I came to the bottom line; I had to ask the person in the mirror this question. “Would I sacrifice my child for the future of the Garífuna Language?”

This much I will say: to be continued.

Au-le
Lúbara Huya.

No comments: