Saturday, March 12, 2011

Offering (Dagagüdaü)

I happen to think that offering is a way of saying thank you. When I “offer”, it comes from my soul, it is the way my soul says thanks. DAGAGÜDAÜ in my opinion is being in unity with the Áhari.

My grandmother was the first person I heard using the word DAGAGÜDAÜ, (‘offering’) who is now 90 years old. She was born on February 21, 1921. Over the years she has shared with me that I became a part of her life when I was six months old, therefore by the time I became aware of my senses around the age of four, I was already under full care of Ma and could still be. If you take a look at my first article, it was posted on the February 21, 2010, because it is was Ma’s birthday. Feliciana Rufino Avila taught me the meaning of sacrifice by her actions, because she is the woman who has taught me the meaning of DAGAGÜDAÜ. Ever since I became aware of my senses, she reminded me, as often as she could, not to forget our ancestors and the Áhari. On occasion she would prepare something special that was the favorite of a loved one, so she could do her offering. During the first 17 years of my life, I was able to experience what a sacrifice is all about: it is when someone goes beyond the call of duty without conditions.

Speaking of “offering”, one of the biblical chapters that caught my attention many years ago is in the book of Genesis.  It says: Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.” (Genesis 22:2) It is about Abraham and his beliefs.  Abraham had a very special relationship with God, but God, for some reason wanted to test Abraham’s faith, by requesting the “offering” of his son Isaac.

Offering is an essential ceremony (rite) in Garífuna spirituality, however, before I take my next step, the reader should know this much, I am just sharing with you my experience which has brought you and I to this point. Here we are, at a point and time, for example the tsunami in Japan yesterday, March 11, 2011. How can we explain something like that? However I would say that it was much easier to explain what happened on the September 11, 2001.

These are just two examples of events that will forever mark human history; here we are hoping to make this earth a better place. Why don’t we give “Offering” a chance?

Au le
Lubara Huya

No comments: