Monday, August 15, 2011

Idaba ('Conscience')

Beyond what the eyes can see, can be one of the most revealing understandings in Garífuna Spirituality. Today is Monday, August 15, 2011, what I hope to do here is something we can “continue” being. I would like to set the stage with something I wrote exactly a year ago:
Many years ago, somebody asked one of the greatest teachers who ever lived this particular question: “Can a man be born again?” Today is August 16th 2010; it was thirteen years today, that I asked “Him” the same question.  
Before I “continue,” I would like for you to know that what I am sharing with you, is what I feel to express in this divine moment.

Here we are, just a few days from one of the most historic events in the lives of many Blacks in the Americas. A delegation from Labuga will be in La Cieba, Honduras on the 18th August 2011 for the inauguration of the first ever summit of this nature held in Honduras.  It was a Wednesday, April 12th 1797, therefore it has been 214 years since our ancestors set foot on that same geographical spot.

What many of us don’t understand is the relationship of continuity, something that ties everything together,  Sometimes we call it the present the past and the future. The essence of Garífuna Spirituality is that everything is one, and it has no end.

Idaba” is a Garífuna word that goes beyond what we try to capture with the word ‘conscience’ in another language, yet it is more than what any language can say.  I have been on the first level of this process now for the past fourteen years. It was fourteen years ago since I first touched a computer in my life, it was on a Sunday, August 16th 1997, two hundred years and four months after the arrival of the Garífuna people to Roatan, Honduras.

What I feel to express at this divine moments is for us to understand that our ancestors will always be with us, there is no doubt in my mind that Marcos Sanchez Diaz will be at this summit, to represent Labuga.

As Labugana, we may have to humble ourselves to the principles that leaders are not about self.  A true leaders is not someone who is looking for a spotlight; for the most part, a leader is someone who looks out for the future, because he is aware that the future is now. What you are being now is what you will be tomorrow.

Au-le
Lubara Huya (Tomas Sanchez)

No comments: