Friday, October 18, 2013

Labuga in the Spotlight – Part II


Fri. -18/10/13- It is 5:42 in the morning and I just got through reading an article that I wrote last month. Labuga in the Spotlight was centered around a question that the President of Guatemala, Otto Pérez Molina asked a Garífuna brother on national television. As an update, the question was about the “feelings” of the Garífuna people in Guatemala.   

I was aware then that there would be a continuation to the previous article but I had no idea about how it was designed. Today, I would like for you to come with me on the continuation.  But before we continue I would like for you to know that the statement remains with a twist, “it is not about what the Garífuna Nation can do for you, it is about what we can do for the Nation”.  

Yesterday can be the moment I have been waiting for; it is an opportunity in disguise. You see, the 26th November is an official day for the Garífuna people in Guatemala. I am saying that it is an opportunity in disguise because I am looking beyond the obstacles in the way.

Garífuna Day in Guatemala can be instrumental for the development of our people, but before it can happen we will have to put away our childish behaviors. The scripture says that there is a time for everything, there is a time to be a child and there is a time to be a man and take a stand.

You see, I am responsible for taking a stand for something that transpired at the municipality of Labuga yesterday. As a member of the Garífuna Parliament, I took upon myself to “unfreeze” some funds that are intended for the celebration of Garífuna Day. In this case, Garífuna Day is for the Garífuna people in general and they should be informed about funds that are being used and abused in the name of the Garífuna People in Guatemala.        

Au-Le
Lúbara Huya


No comments: