Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Time and Place, Part II

Today is February 4th 2014 therefore it was three months ago that I was in Tela, Honduras. I said then that my trip to Honduras was about a relationship that is taking place between the physical and spiritual. But before I continue I would like to share with you a message from Madiba: 

During my lifetime I have dedicated my life to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve.  But if needs be, it is an ideal which I am prepared to die. (Mandela, Nelson. 1964. I Am Prepared To Die)

It has been two months since the passing of Madiba and my question today is how well have we applied the lesson he taught us in our own life?

I was looking at an “image” of me that was taken in 1962; this was a time in history that Madiba was doing time at Robben Island. I was at the Presidential Palace on the 4th December 2013 the day before Madiba’s passing. I said then that this government is creating an “image” and it is an image in creation. Since the sixteenth of January 2014, the children and future of our nation has only had one day of class for this year. It is an “image” the world is watching and from my point of view as a Garífuna I want to share this with you.

President Otto Pérez Molina: “During my lifetime I have dedicated a part of my life to this struggle of the Garífuna People. I have fought against white domination and I have fought against Black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and defend.  But if needs be, it is an ideal which I am prepared to die.”

Au-le

Lúbara Huya

No comments: