Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Walk to Freedom

Sat. 9/8/14- It is 5:52 in the morning and just got through reading a few pages from a LIFE magazine that my father brought me from New York a couple days ago. The entire magazine is about precious moments of Mandela’s life caught on a camera. In this case I was able to capture a special moment with my father yesterday. I was able to share Long Walk to Freedom with him.

I was sixteen when I first heard about my biological father; therefore it has been thirty six years since this relationship began. He is now eighty seven years old and is about to read Long Walk to Freedom.  My attention was caught by a quote from the first page of the magazine that my father brought me. “To be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhance the freedom of others”.

I have a feeling that Mandela is speaking to many of us that is still on the Long Walk to Freedom. My son Imenigi will join us today, and I could not avoid a phrase used by Obama when he and his family visited Robben Island. “Obama stresses that the moment will stay with his girls forever. The moment we will share today, will stay with my boy forever.

Au- Le
Lúbara Huya   

No comments: