Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Education in the Garifuna Communities Has Become A Double Edge Sword



Today is July 5th 2010, and I was thinking about how to address this subject with you, I would like for us to take a good look at the way things are today. To take a good look at the way we are educating the children of today. Education in the Garífuna communities has become a double edge sword. I cannot tell the difference between “the educator and the educated”.

You see, if it takes an entire community to raise a child, then I would like to share my observation with you about the type of education we are allowing our children to digest, but before I continue, I hope to make this clear, that it is not nothing personal.

I was first exposed to formal education at Sacred Heart School, in the District of Dangriga, Belize, it was known then as Stann Creek District, but for the most part I am “self-educated”, trust me I don’t have a degree with my name on it. However, I still cannot quench the thirst for knowledge that was ignited by the teachers at my elementary school.

Today, after many years of observations, most Garífuna teachers in the Garífuna community of Labuga do not connect with what they are teaching our children, most of them are there just for a job. Be that as it may, I think that the bottom line here, are the children and the education we are feeding them. I think that the time has come to take a new approach at the way we are teaching the children in our community. We have to start teaching concepts and not subjects, devise a new curriculum and build it around three core concepts: Awareness, Honesty Responsibility. We should learn to teach our children these concepts from the earliest age, have them run through the curriculum until the final day, finally base our entire educational model upon them.

Au-Le
Lubara Huya.

No comments: