Sunday, June 1, 2014

Touch

Sun. 1/6/14- It is 5:50 in the morning and for the most part I have been cultivating my ideas since four thirty. In this case, our hope to stay in touch is now a reality. The word that caught my attention this morning is the concept of “touch”.  My grandmother was buried two years ago yesterday, and there is no doubt in my mind that she and I are in “touch”.  Being in “touch” is a universal concept.

Yesterday Labuga Guatemala was in “touch” with the world, through Miss World Guatemala, Keyla Bermudez. We had a homecoming event that took place at the park near the main dock in Labuga that began sometime around four in the evening. Being in touch, describes the characteristics of this young lady by the name of Keyla. We first came in “touch” on the 30th June 2007 through a 100 quetzal bill that her father Humbe and I had torn apart, there is more to the story but that is not the point.

Keyla is now twenty two years old and is a humble Garifuna in every sense of the word. She has touched the conscience of humanity here in Guatemala. There is no doubt in my mind that Keyla is in touch with the Most High and our Ancestors.

The first time her father and I took Keyla to Gangadiwali was in November of 2008, for the most part to show her our farm project; for her to see and vision; for her to stay in touch with who she was, who she is and who she will be. Nevertheless yesterday was a moment in Keyla’s life that allowed her to touch the life of her generation.

Au-Le

Lúbara Huya.

No comments: